Confucius say, “Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it”.

Confucius say, “Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it”.

12.17.2010

one of the best bands you haven't heard yet

...especially if you're one of my East Coast Friends.

Best Coast makes me so happy.  They encompass the feel of surf rock without the annoying parts, so maybe it's technically it's own indie genre. Who even knows what the fuck genres there are anymore, anyway.

I heard "Boyfriend" on some indie playlist a friend sent me with like 120 songs on it.  (It was mostly unremarkable, aside from Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt and this song.)  It was the definition of "stand-out" song.  Super cute girly lyrics (with their female singer) such as "I'd love him to the very end but instead he is just a friend, I wish he was my boyfriend," reminds me of a song I would've written if I was an angsty teenager and had a bit of talent (which I certainly didn't), but instead Bethany Cosentino makes you feel nostalgic. Maybe it's intentional, but even if that's not the case,  I'm still in love with their sound.  They're from Los Angeles, CA, so their sound is pretty authentic on the "surf rock" side of things.

Another great track (that immediately reminded me of my boyfriend and myself, -insert chuckle here-) is Crazy For You, which I can certainly relate to "I wanna hit you then I kiss you, I wanna kill you but then I'd miss you." Clever, crazy lady. I like it when people nail down a feeling for me in a song.

Besides, how can you dislike someone who draws their inspiration from "boys, California, weed, and her cat"?


NOT to mention... I'm pretty sure that's her cat on the album cover. 








Adorable. Please keep up the fantastic work, Best Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment